2023 Reserve Drivers, Test Drivers and Third Drivers.
Reserve Drivers are part of the team and often in the team’s garageAn F1 garage is just that. A secure area for teams to set up their equipment and work on their... There's more... over a race weekend. They are race-ready should a contract driverOK, so we all know what the driver is, right. I've always liked the description that F1 drivers are like... There's more... be excluded from driving. This has been more prevalent over the last two years with covid affecting drivers.
A driver must participate in at least one practice session to join qualifyingQualifying (Quali) is a one-hour session used to determine pole position and the order the cars will line up behind... There's more..., so if it is a touch-and-go situation, teams need to make the call as early as possible so the reserve driverWith a team title as well as a driver title at stake, teams need to start the car even if... There's more... can get up to speed and qualify.
Test, Third or Simulator Drivers work with the team to develop and tune the car.
In some cases, teams share these resources, usually where there is a commonality through Power UnitF1 cars no longer have engines as such, they run a hybrid power unit (PU) that delivers in the order... There's more... supply.
The lineup for 2023 is as follows…
Red Bull Racing (and AlphaTauri)
- Reserve drivers: Liam LawsonLiam Lawson is a New Zealand motor racing driver and a past Toyota Racing Series champion. Liam is a member... There's more..., Dennis Hauger, Zane Maloney
- Third driverThe third driver is better described as the test driver. Teams utilise them to help the regular drivers and engineers... There's more...: Daniel RicciardoDaniel Ricciardo is an Australian born F1 driver with Mclaren Racing. View Daniel's full profile - here There's more...
- Simulator driver: Rudy van Buren
- Test and reserve driver: Stoffel Vandoorne
- Reserve driver: Felipe Drugovich
- Reserve driver: Theo Pourchaire
- Reserve driver: Antonio GiovinazziFerrari Reserve Driver 2022 If one of the Ferrari drivers is unable to participate in a race weekend, the team... There's more...
- Test driver: Robert ShwartzmanRobert Shwartzman is a Russo-Israeli racing driver who currently serves as a development driver for the Scuderia Ferrari Formula One... There's more...
- Reserve driver: Alex Palou and Mick Schumacher (all season), Felipe Drugovich, Stoffel Vandoorne (first 15 races of 2023)
- Test and development driverDevelopment drivers, academy drivers or junior drivers are signed to a team as part of the team’s programme to identify... There's more...: Will Stevens
- Test and developmentF1 is a race off the track as well as on the track, with teams fighting to develop the fastest... There's more... driver: Oliver Turvey
Mercedes (and Williams)
- Reserve driver: Mick SchumacherFerrari Reserve Driver 2022 Ferrari doesn’t have far to look for another one of their reserve drivers. Just a few... There's more...
Reserve driver: Jack DoohanJack Doohan is an Australian driver competing in the FIA Formula 2 Championship with Virtuosi Racing and the son of motorcycle... There's more...
Read more about the 2023 reserve drivers on motorsport.com – here